Monday, July 22, 2013

Baby Noble: A Support Story

On July 8, Chelsea and I stepped into what would become our final visit to the doctor.  We had been anticipating this day for the last week, eager to find out about any progress in the pregnancy.  After a brief check-up, Dr. Tsai (who could be described as cold) informed us that little progress had been made since last week’s check-up.  He performed a sweeping of the membrane which had a 50/50 chance of helping Chelsea into labor naturally in the next 2-3 days.  After this quick procedure an induction date was set for July 11. 

Having spent the last 40 weeks anticipating the arrival of our child, my mind was put at ease knowing that there was a definite end date set for our pregnancy.  Chelsea was decidedly more nervous.  She had spent hours reading and researching the possible downsides to an induced birth.  Two days came and passed without even a mild contraction, and I grew increasingly more excited as Chelsea became more nervous.  Who could blame her; I certainly wasn't the one having to pass a child through my body!

Tuesday night was relatively uneventful, dinner at a so-so hamburger joint and a couple hours reading at the local Barnes & Noble. We made it home later than usual and headed to sleep for the night.  I was out for only 15 minutes when Chelsea shook me awake, “I think it’s happening.”  Everything was cloudy. I was incredibly groggy and probably groaned a few unintelligible words as I came to.  I looked up to see her tearing up as she looked intently at the timer on her phone.  As I came out of the haze she told me the contractions were regular and had been happening for 15 min off and on.  Reality set in.  We’re going to have a baby. Tonight! 

I jumped into the shower to wake up.  We took turns timing the contractions for the next two hours.  I grabbed pillows, clothes, the pregnancy exercise ball, a car seat, snacks, towels, cameras, phone chargers… anything and everything my mind could think of.  After 2 hours of regular contractions I tossed it all into the car and we headed to the ER at the hospital.  Driving in the car gave me the first chance to really reflect on what the heck was happening.  I grabbed Chelsea’s hand, smiled and said “We’re going to have a baby.” I spent much of the ride trying to remember everything that we covered in our birthing class.  I wish I had paid a little more attention to the odd instructor of our class who enthusiastically taught us how to properly groan, moan, and massage.  I tried hard to hide my panic and be strong for Chelsea.
We arrived at the hospital ER around 2 in the morning and were rushed to the triage room in the Birthing Center.  Chelsea was wheeled in while I carried ALL of our stuff.  I looked like a pack mule and was laughed at by the staff and the folks in the waiting room who all correctly guessed that we were about to have our first child.   After an uncomfortable hour of contractions (and a few painful exams) in the triage room, the nurses were sufficiently assured that Chelsea was indeed in labor.  We were moved to the birthing room 1007 where we would later have our beautiful baby girl.  The room was perfect, except for one detail, there were no chairs for me to sit at Chelsea’s bedside.  I spent the remainder of the night sitting on the exercise ball meant for my wife, helping her work through the contractions. 
I immediately began to transform the bright sterile room 1007 into a relaxing place for my wife.  We turned off the lights, opened up some aromatherapy lotion, cued up some Enya music and worked on our relaxing moaning.  The nurses must have thought we were some crazy new age hippy couple.  While all this might sound silly, as a man it is hard to watch your wife suffer through wave after wave of contractions.  Out of love you try to do anything and everything you possibly can to help her through each of the increasingly painful waves.   By my estimate Chelsea went through about 135 contractions ((60/4)*9hr), labor is by all means a marathon… not a sprint.
                
At 6:30AM our doctor broke Chelsea’s water, rapidly accelerating her labor.  The final hours of contractions were a blur, and it wasn't long until she began feeling the urge to push. The nurse paged the doctor who rushed into the room and prepped himself to deliver our baby girl.  I stood by Chelsea’s side, unable to do anything but hold her hand and whisper some words of encouragement.  It was amazing to watch her in delivery; everything was coming so naturally to her.  I’ll spare the gory details.  I watched on as she gave her final push, looking over at my wife, “you did it baby, she’s beautiful!”  A few tears rolled down her face as she saw our child.  I smiled ear to ear as I turned my focus to cutting the cord. The emotions of such a moment are immensely difficult to put into text.  As a father and a husband I was proud, shocked, relieved, excited, exhausted, and unbelievably in love with both of the wonderful ladies that will forever be a part of my life.             



No comments:

Post a Comment